What are Star Ratings?
We rate all our property between 1 and 5 stars to give you an idea of their quality and popularity. We will improve all our homes through time to reach at least 4 star standard. We aim to have no 1 or 2 star homes.
All our properties now meet the Scottish Housing Quality Standards (SHQS), with the exception of a very small number of properties which are exempted under the rules, e.g. where it is the tenant's preference not to upgrade their current heating system.
How do we calculate Ratings?
Ratings are calculated on the following:
- Scottish Housing Quality Standard (see below)
- Age of the kitchen and heating system
- Secured by Design (or equivalent) windows and doors (see below)
- Energy Efficiency Rating or EER (see below)
What is the Scottish Housing Quality Standard?
This defines the minimum standard of housing quality for social housing. By 2015 all Council and Housing Association homes were required to be:
- above the "tolerable standard", which is the absolute minimum standard that a house must meet
- free from serious disrepair such as major roof, dampness or structural problems
- energy efficient, so it must have effective insulation and central heating,
provided with kitchen and bathroom fittings that are in a good and safe condition
- safe and secure, for example it must have a smoke detector, secure doors and safe electrical and gas systems
What is Secured by Design?
Secured by Design is the official Police standard for home security. You can read more about Secured by Design on the official Secured by Design website
What is EER?
EER is the energy efficiency rating - a measure of energy efficiency - the higher the EER rating, the more energy efficient a home is.