Mutual Exchanges

We operate a joint exchange list with East Lothian Council called East Lothian X-Changes.

Search for exchange properties

Scottish Secure Tenants have the right to apply for a mutual exchange. You can apply to swap homes with a Council or Housing Association tenant but you need the consent of both Landlords before you can move, and we ask that incoming exchange tenants pay their first month's rent when they sign their Tenancy Agreement.

A full list of tenants who would like to exchange is available at our office and as a download on the exchange search page, or you can filter and print off the listings to search for homes by area, property type and the number of bedrooms. If you would like to add your home to our exchange list, please fill in the on-line application form. Once your listing is live (this usually takes 1-2 working days), your home will be visible on the list to people searching, and you can print off a flyer advertising your home, should you want to put up flyers in your local area.  If you have added your address to our exchange list and then find an exchange, please let us know, as your home and contact details will otherwise remain on our list until the annual review.

You can also search for people interested in exchanging with you by using Homeswapper or House Exchange. Please note that we are not members of these services, however we may be able to help ELHA tenants with the fees if they want to move out of East Lothian. Please contact us if you would like more information.

When you have found someone to exchange with, you can download and print out the application forms (downloads are at the bottom of the page). If you are an ELHA tenant exchanging with another ELHA tenant, you must BOTH complete an ELHA tenant exchange form. If the exchange is between an ELHA tenant and a Council or other Housing Association tenant, the ELHA tenant should complete the ELHA form and the other tenant should complete the Non-ELHA form

If you are NOT an ELHA tenant, and the person you want to exchange with is NOT an ELHA tenant, please contact your respective landlords to arrange your exchange, and let us know you want to be removed from our list.

Please note that some landlords may have restrictions in place, e.g. no works vans, no pets, etc.  Please check if the home you want to move to has these restrictions before applying.

Download mutual exchange leaflet

Apply for a Mutual Exchange