Gas and Carbon Monoxide

Gas Escapes

If you smell gas

  • Put out cigarettes. Do not use matches or naked flames
  • Do not operate electrical switches, doorbells or telephones including mobile phones inside the house
  • Open all doors and windows and keep them open until the gas escape has been traced and dealt with
  • Check to see if a gas tap has been left on accidentally or if a pilot light has gone out
  • Telephone National Grid on freephone 0800 111 999
  • Contact us during office hours on 03000 999 247 or Lothian Gas on 0131 440 4666 if the office is closed.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be caused by faulty gas appliances. There are no obvious signs of carbon monoxide poisoning although symptoms may include tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, and chest pains.

To reduce the risk we regularly check and maintain the gas appliances we have installed in your home. We have also installed carbon monoxide detectors in all our properties that have gas. These work like smoke detectors and will sound an alarm if carbon monoxide is detected. If you have a battery powered carbon monoxide detector, do not try to replace the battery when it runs out, contact us or log into My Home and report a repair and we will fix it.

To prevent any further risk from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Never use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly
  • Signs to look out for include yellow or orange flames, soot or stains around the appliance and pilot lights which frequently blow out
  • Never cover an appliance or block the vents
  • Never block or cover outside flues

If you have any doubts about the safety of your gas appliances contact our Asset Management Department.

Contact Us