Information for the Parents of Teenagers


Published: 29/03/2022

My son turns 16 next month, he is staying at school, can he apply for any benefits?

Depending on your household income your son can apply for an Educational Maintenance Allowance gives financial support to eligible 16-to-19-year old’s who want to continue in non-advanced education. EMA is a weekly payment of £30, paid every 2 weeks in arrears.

If you meet the eligibility criteria you need to apply directly to your school or college.

Will I be able to still claim benefits for my daughter that has started part time work whilst she is at school?

Yes, whilst your daughter remains at school you will continue to receive your full benefits entitlement. 

What age will child benefit stop, that is the only benefit I receive?

Child benefit can be paid whilst your child is in full time non advanced education. Child Benefit stops automatically on 31 August after your child’s 16th birthday. Child Benefit can continue for a child under 20 years old if they stay in ‘approved’ further education or training. If your child stays in ‘approved’ education Child Benefit can continue to be paid, you will have to let HMRC know they are continuing in education

What is non-advanced education, approved education or training?

Non-advanced education and training courses and Further Education that your child studies in school or at college.

These are SCQF level 6 and below including:

  • Standard Grades
  • National 5
  • Highers
  • Advanced National Certificates
  • SVQs up to level 3
  • Ordinary National Diplomas
  • Advanced Highers
  • Modern Apprenticeships that do not form part of a contract of employment

The school or college can tell you if a course is non-advanced if you are not sure.

My daughter is unsure what she wants to do, she never got the results required for her college course, she is 17 and about to leave school. Can I claim anything for her whilst she decides what to next?

You can apply for a Child Benefit Extension Period for 16 and 17 year old’s which means you can keep child benefit and any other benefits for up to 20 weeks longer or until your daughter turns 18, whichever comes first. To get the extension your child must not be working more than 23 hours a week and be within 3 months of her leaving training or education. She would also have to register for employment or training with a careers service. 

To find your local careers service office you can call the Skills Development Scotland Helpline: 0800 917 8000.

Will I lose my single persons Council Tax discount now my son is 18 and starting college full time?

Your son will be exempt from Council Tax whilst he is a full-time student, the Council may ask for confirmation from the college that he is studying at.


About Us

  • Healthy Happy Homes
  • Scottish Federation of Housing Associations
  • get texthelp Browsealoud
  • Happy to Translate
  • Disability Confident Employer
  • Digital Participation Signatory
  • Cyber Essentials Certified