Homes for Ukraine


Published: 29/03/2022

Thousands of people have registered their interest in the UK Government’s Homes for Ukraine Scheme which allows people to take in refugees fleeing the war.

Anyone registering through the government scheme must be able to offer a spare room or whole residence for at least six months, though they should probably be prepared to offer the room for longer. Applicants will be vetted, as will Ukrainian nationals and each household receiving a refugee will be offered £350 a month, tax-free. Hosts will not be expected to provide food and living expenses, but may wish to do so. 

If you are thinking about hosting a Ukraine family please remember that you need our permission to take in lodgers. You should fill in a lodger application form which you can find in your My Home account, or you can contact us and we can send a paper form out to you.

We would contact you to discuss the request and we don’t normally refuse permission to take in a lodger, but there are times when we may have to do this, for example, if moving people into your home would lead to overcrowding, or if your tenancy was at risk because you are in breach of your agreement.

If you want to know more about taking in a lodger before applying, please contact us at or by calling us on 01620 825032.

Read our Ukraine newsflash article

About Us

  • Healthy Happy Homes
  • Scottish Federation of Housing Associations
  • get texthelp Browsealoud
  • Happy to Translate
  • Disability Confident Employer
  • Digital Participation Signatory
  • Cyber Essentials Certified