Benefit Update for Parents


Published: 14/11/2022

Scottish Child Payments Extended

The Scottish Child Payment will be extended to all under 16-year old’s from 14 November 2022 and the payment will increase from £20 to £25 each week for families in receipt of the following qualifying benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based jobseeker's allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related employment and support allowance (ESA)

It is necessary to apply for the Scottish Child Payment. Claims can be made online at or by phone 0800 182 2222.

Scottish Child Payment Bridging Payment

The fourth and final Scottish Child Payment Bridging Payment due in December, is to be doubled from £130 to £260. This payment is made automatically by East Lothian Council to families for each child entitled to free school meals due to low income.

It is necessary to apply for free school meals to be registered to receive this payment.

Child Winter Heating Payments

The Child Winter Heating Assistance payment of £214.10, which is an annual payment to help disabled children and young people heat their homes, will be paid automatically to families for anyone under 19 who receive the following qualifying benefits:

  • The highest rate of the care component of Child Disability Payment or Disability Living Allowance for children
  • The enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • The enhanced rate of the daily living component of Adult Disability Payment

Young Carer Grants

Young people aged 16, 17 and 18 can receive a grant of £326.65 a year if they are caring for someone on average 16 hours a week who receives a disability benefit.

Young careers can apply if they are at school, in further education, employed or unemployed. People can apply once a year as long as they remain eligible.  The payment is a cash benefit and people can spend it as they choose.

For more information on these and other benefits provided by Social Security Scotland, visit their website:

Social Security Scotland

Young Patients Family Fund

If you have a child in hospital you can claim for the costs of travel and food through the Young Patients Family Fund.  This is available to parents, primary carers and siblings under 18 when a baby, child or young person under 18 is receiving inpatient care, regardless of income. The Fund can cover transport to hospital once a day, meals and in some cases, accommodation. 

For more information and how to apply visit the website:

Young Patients Family Fund

About Us

  • Healthy Happy Homes
  • Scottish Federation of Housing Associations
  • Happy to Translate
  • Disability Confident Employer
  • Digital Participation Signatory
  • Cyber Essentials Certified