Moving Home

When you know you are moving out of an ELHA property, you should make the following arrangements:

  • Write to us giving us 28 days notice to end your tenancy or fill in and return the downloadable form at the bottom of the page.
  • Let us in to inspect your home before you move out (this could save you money if there are repairs which are your respnsibility to put right)
  • If you have been receiving Housing Benefit, you must inform the Housing Benefit office that you are moving. Housing Benefit will only get paid for your new home once you have moved in.
  • Contact electricity, gas and telephone companies to confirm when you want them to provide services to your home.
  • Tell the East Lothian Council’s Council Tax department that you are moving.
  • If you claim Universal Credit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or Family Tax Credits, tell the Department of Work and Pensions that you are moving
  • Arrange for your mail to be redirected.


  • Healthy Happy Homes
  • Scottish Federation of Housing Associations
  • get texthelp Browsealoud
  • Happy to Translate
  • Disability Confident Employer
  • Digital Participation Signatory
  • Cyber Essentials Certified