Frost Protection & Burst Pipes
During cold weather you can avoid frost damage and burst pipes by following these steps:
- Set the thermostat on your heating to at least 10 degrees centigrade (50 degrees Fahrenheit) and leave it at this level while the cold weather persists. This should keep your home reasonably warm.
- Leave the doors into each room open – this allows warm air to circulate.
- If you are going away for any length of time, and leaving the house unheated, please contact our Asset Management Department. We can arrange to drain water tanks free of charge.
If you do get a burst pipe, you should:
- Turn off the water at the stop valve. If you don’t know where this is, please contact our Asset Management Department on 01620 828422
- Switch off the electricity at the mains
- Switch off any water heaters
- Switch off the central heating system. If you have a solid fuel system let the fire die down. Do not attempt to drain the boiler until the fire has gone out
- Open all sink and bath taps.
- If possible, collect water in the bath for flushing the toilet and washing
- Call the Repair Line - 03000 999 247
- Warn any neighbours who may be affected
- Put buckets/towels under the leak